What are you looking for?
Monday 30 November 2020

MAKEUP, SKINCARE & HOMEWARE EMPTIES REVIEW





Makeup
Revolution Pro Matte Primer

I have mixed reviews about this primer. It was initially a potential contender as a dupe for the Laura Mercier Oil Free Primer but over time, it just didn’t make my makeup last longer and I’m not sure why. If I had to describe the Revolution Pro Matte primer in one word, I’d say it’s temperamental. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.                                                                                                                     

EX1 Invisiwear Liquid Foundation

This foundation is a near perfect dupe for the Mac studio fix fluid. The shade F13 was the closest match to my skin tone. It was buildable, matte and full coverage. I was impressed with its longevity, as it’s something that drugstore foundations tend to struggle with. Something to bear in mind is that the foundation works best when applied with a beautyblender. When I used my Spectrum Cosmetics Foundation brush, I found it difficult to blend and I felt like I had to work it into my skin. With the beautyblender, application was smooth. If you prefer brushes to beautyblenders, this might not be the foundation for you.


CYO Matte Pressed Powder

I may have found a drugstore dupe for the MAC studio fix setting powder… and it’s only £4.99. 


CYO Volume Mascara - The Thick Of It

Continuing with the CYO theme, this mascara is a dupe for the nars climax mascara, so if you love that, you’ll definitely love this one. It’s waterproof, clump free and buildable. The wand picked up enough product to really define and give my lashes a voluminous look.


Eyelure London Dybrow Permanent Tint for Brow - Black 

I haven’t finished this product yet, but I couldn’t not include it in my empties review. This kit includes dye, mixing fluid, a spoolie, a mixing tray and a set of easy step-by-step instructions. You’re advised to apply two 1cm drops of dye and 5 drops of mixing fluid in the mixing bowl before mixing together. However I would advice against doing this. 5 drops is too much. The dye didn’t mix well and the solution was too liquidy. I recommend 2 drops of dye and 2 drops of mixing fluid for a light paste consistency. I used Vaseline to outline the edges of my brows to prevent an uneven appearance. I then used the spoolie to brush my brows and then I applied the dye using the other end of the spoolie. I also don’t agree that you should apply the dye for 5 minutes. The first time I used this product, I found that 5 minutes wasn’t long enough and my brows weren’t as defined. However, it’s personal preference and it depends on what you’re after. If you’re after a light brow tint, then 5 minutes will work. If you’re after something a bit more defined, I recommend leaving it on for 20-30 minutes.




Skincare

Cuticura Original Antibacterial Hand Gel - Floral & Fruity

I’ve been using this hand sanitiser before corona and it’s one of my handbag staples. (Yes, I’m that gal who carries hand sanitiser in her bag because you never know when you’ll need it). It has a floral and fruity fragrance which I like because some hand sanitisers smell too strongly of disinfectant.. Cuticura have got the balance right – this sanitiser offers protection whilst moisturising your hands at the same time.


Revolution London Antibacterial Hand Cleansing Gel

I absolutely love this hand sanitiser. Its ocean fragrance gives me “I’m relaxing on the beach with a strawberry daiquiri in my hand” vibes. It also reminds me of Dolce & Gabbana light blue perfume. In fact, if Dolce and Gabbana were to branch into the hand sanitiser market, their hand sanitisers would probably smell like this. Although it delivers on antibacterial protection, it falls short on the moisturising aspect. Your hands will be dry after using so I recommend investing in a good quality hand cream. 


Clinique Dark Spot Correcting Cream

*free sample size product from Space NK*

I used this dark spot correcting cream as part of my autumn/winter skincare routine to reduce the appearance of my maskne (acne caused from wearing a face mask). The dark spots were slightly “corrected” as my skin appeared awake and brighter in complexion. However, as this is a sample size product, I would need to try a regular sized version in order to see a more noticeable difference. I wasn’t happy with the sachet style packaging. A small pot (like the sample size Clark’s Botanicals Soothing Marine Cream I received as part of my birthday gift from Space NK) would’ve been more aesthetically pleasing and practical. 


Clinique Dark Spot Moisturiser

*free sample size product from Space NK*

I applied this moisturiser over the dark spot corrector. These creams work hand in hand. Think of the dark spot corrector as a base coat and the dark spot moisturiser as a top coat. Without the moisturiser, your skin will be dry and without the corrector, dark spots will stay the same. Same issues re packaging.


Aurelia Probiotic Skincare Cell Revitalise Day Moisturiser

*free sample size product from Space NK*

A great skincare product to introduce to your morning autumn/winter skincare routine. As someone with combination/oily skin, I thought the luminous finish wouldn’t work. There’s just the right amount of glow, without it going overboard... so it’s suitable for all skin types. It’s a good moisturiser to use at this time of year because cold weather can be harsh towards the skin. The citrusy fragrance is also season appropriate. Same issues re packaging.




Homeware

Yankee Candle Reed Diffuser - Black Cherry

This diffuser had 10 reeds, which really helped to disperse the black cherry fragrance around the room. I’ve bought (cheaper) diffusers which didn’t have enough reeds and meant that the fragrance was concentrated in one area of the room. I also found it to be longer lasting compared to other diffusers I’ve bought in the past. It’s pricier than some diffusers on the market but it’s worth it. You don’t need to buy an extra pack of reeds because there’s enough in the diffuser. I love the packaging too!


So that’s all the products I’ve used recently.


Until next time,

C x 




Add your comment

Subscribe to my Blog via Email

SHOP MY MAKEUP BAG

SHOP MY WARDROBE FAVOURITES

CURRENT WISHLIST