What are you looking for?
Friday 5 June 2020

SKINCARE PRODUCTS I’M LOVING DURING LOCKDOWN & MY CURRENT SKINCARE ROUTINE





I’ve found my skin breaking out more during lockdown, even though I’ve hardly worn makeup and I’m not the only one. You’d think that not wearing makeup would keep blemishes at bay and therefore your skin should be smooth like a Krispy Kreme glazed doughnut or a McDonald’s fillet-o-fish bun but no. It turns out Lockdown Skin is an actual thing. Heightened stress levels and worry caused by the current global pandemic and lockdown, combined with increased snacking (guess I need to curb my current addiction to Peter’s Yard sourdough crispbreads. If you haven’t tried them, you need to. It’s so moorish, I could devour a whole packet), not drinking enough water, spending too much time on electronic devices and not getting enough sleep are some of the reasons why your skin might be going into overdrive. 

Whilst my skin was a lot better pre-lockdown (when I was wearing makeup almost every day), my skincare routine was pretty basic. In the mornings I used Clinique’s cleanser and toner followed by Mac’s oil control lotion and Laura Mercier’s oil-free primer (see the Shop my Makeup Bag section of the blog for these) before applying makeup. In the evenings, I used a makeup removing wipe (the biodegradable ones don’t worry) to take off my makeup and cleanse my face. I’d then apply a face mask 1-2 times a week if that. 
At the start of lockdown, I ran out of my skincare products (it’s so typical that you run out of something when you need it the most) and instead of buying the same ones, I decided I’d try something different and up my skincare game- and trust me, it’s been upped. It’s gone from basic to boujee. I’ve been using these products for nearly two months and I thought it would be the right time to share the skincare products I’m loving during the lockdown and my new and improved day and night skincare routine.

MY DAYTIME SKINCARE ROUTINE 

1. Clinique 3-Step Skin Care: Step 1 - Liquid Facial Soap Mild – Dry Combination, Type 2 | Available at Boots
I’ve been using this well before the lockdown and it’s still one of my favourites. It’s a foam cleanser for dry combination skin which I use to wash my face every morning. It’s perfect for my skin type because it targets oily T zones and dry areas of the face. It targets two problem areas at the same time, so you don’t need to buy two separate cleansers. In terms of packaging, the twist and lock closure prevents the product from spilling everywhere. I also like how it can be applied directly to the skin- a lot of cleansers require you have pre-cleansed prior to application. It leaves my face feeling and looking refreshed and energised in readiness for the day ahead. 

2. Nip + Fab Glycolic Cleansing Pads | Available at Superdrug 
“I love Nip + Fab Glycolic Cleansing Pads” – Kylie Jenner
Well, if it’s good enough for Kylie Jenner, it’s certainly good enough for me. 

Next, I use a cleansing pad on my face, neck and shoulders. I use these pads as a toner but it can also be used as a cleanser for the first step of your skincare routine. There’s 60 cleansing pads in a pot and they recommend to use one daily or one during your morning skincare routine and one during your evening skincare routine. I like the versatility of this product. Being able to use the same cleansing pad at night, means you don’t need to buy a nighttime alternative separately. Some skincare companies would’ve used this opportunity to promote a day and night cleansing pad respectively. You’re getting two products for the price of one! 
These cleansing pads contain four key ingredients which provide their own individual unique benefits to the skin; glycolic acid, hyaluronic acid, witch hazel and blue daisy. Glycolic acid helps to retexture the skin, hyaluronic acid acts as a moisturiser, witch hazel tones and blue daisy makes your skin brighter and smoother. I always notice a difference in the appearance of my skin after I’ve used these pads.
I also like them because they double up as makeup remover before your evening skincare routine, but more on my evening routine later.

3. Nip + Fab Exfoliate Oil-Free Post-Glycolic Fix Moisturiser with SPF 30 | Available at Superdrug 
As we’re now in the summer months, it’s important to use moisturisers with SPF to protect the skin against harmful UV rays. Ideally, this moisturiser should be used after a glycolic regime, so it’s perfect to use after the Glycolic Fix Daily Cleansing Pads. Also, can we please talk about colour coordination? I love how Nip + Fab colour coordinate their products. All products in the Glycolic Exfoliate range have a blue label; making it easy for the consumer to find what they’re looking for. It’s extra touches like these that make me love the brand (and products) more. The Glycolic Fix Daily Cleansing Pads and the Post Glycolic Fix Moisturiser look aesthetically pleasing next to each other on a bathroom shelf. 
With this moisturiser, a little goes a long way. I dot a small amount onto my forehead, cheeks, nose and chin and rub into my face in circular motions. It has a matte finish like my MAC oil control lotion, so it will potentially become a new permanent replacement in my makeup bag. It has a light suncreamy fragrance, which isn’t surprising given that it contains SPF. It’s very lightweight on the skin- Nip + Fab got the balance of being a moisturiser and a moisturiser with SPF right. Some well-meaning moisturisers with SPF can feel quite heavy on the skin.

Or

Olay Anti-Wrinkle Firm & Lift SPF 15 Day Cream | Available at Superdrug 
For the third step of my morning skincare routine, I like to alternate between moisturisers. If I’m not using Nip + Fab’s Post Glycolic Fix Moisturiser, I’ll use Olay’s day cream with SPF 15. I don’t have wrinkles by any stretch of the imagination, but it’s a great moisturiser regardless. It isn’t oil-free and it doesn’t have a matte finish but it works wonders on my face. After application, it leaves my skin looking smooth. 

4. Burt’s Bee’s Limited Edition Chai Tea Lip Balm 
Anything with a chai tea scent and I’m sold. I use this to prevent dry and chapped lips. It has a natural finish on the lips for a “no makeup” makeup look. Unfortunately, it’s limited edition and I bought it a while ago so it’s no longer available.

5. Nip + Fab Exfoliate Glycolic Fix Hand Renew | Available at Superdrug 
I feel like when talking about skincare, we often forget about the hands. Due to the current pandemic, there’s been an emphasis on frequent hand washing and using hand sanitiser. These can cause dry hands so it’s important to invest in a good hand cream like this one to keep hands nourished, moisturised and hydrated; thanks to two key ingredients- coconut oil and aloe vera. Although it’s marketed as a night cream, I find it works just as well during the day. I’ve been using this hand cream religiously during lockdown and it’ll be going in my handbag post lockdown. Its fruity notes are also appropriate as we’re now in summer. 


MY NIGHTTIME SKINCARE ROUTINE



1. Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Daily Cleansing Pads | Available at Superdrug 
I’ve already given my verdict on these but during my night routine, I use it as a base to cleanse my face. It can also be used as a makeup remover.

2. Nip + Fab Purify Teen Skin Fix Pore Blaster Wash: Night | Available at Superdrug 
My teenage years are long gone but as we’re in lockdown, I had to make do with what was available in store. Don’t be put off by the name- it might be marketed as a “teen” night wash, but online reviews show it’s suitable for twenty-somethings. I dot it around my face and rub in circular motions to form a lather. Again, a little goes a long way. You don’t need to apply copious amounts. I massage it into the skin before washing off with lukewarm water. I love this product because my skin always feels soft and smooth after using. It smells of tea tree oil which I find calming for a nighttime skincare product. This is important because you want something that’ll make you feel relaxed and help you to wind down in the evening.
Again, Nip + Fab’s back with the colour coordination. The Purify Teen range all have this lemon green packaging. Your bathroom shelf, cabinet, makeup bag or wherever you like to store your skincare products will be so aesthetically pleasing to look at and worthy of a social media post.

3. Nip + Fab Exfoliate Glycolic Fix Liquid Glow Extreme 6% | Available at Superdrug 
Next, I pour a tiny amount of this toner onto a cotton pad and sweep around my face and neck. 
 
4. Nip + Fab Renew Retinol Fix Booster Extreme | Available at Superdrug 
I don’t use this every night, but when I do, it’s always after toner. I love the pipette application- there’s something fun about using a pipette to apply something onto your face. It also gives the product a luxurious feel. Skin feels radiant after use.

5. Nip + Fab Purify Teen Skin Fix Spot Zap | Available at Superdrug 
They don’t call this a “Spot Zap” for nothing. Since using this product, I’ve noticed a difference. It dramatically reduces the appearance of breakouts, making them less aggressive and blemishes are kept at bay.

6. Olay Eyes Ultimate Eye Cream | Available at Superdrug 
Now onto the creams. I’ve somehow managed to get noticeably dark circles under my eyes during lockdown and this eye cream has been a saviour- not an exaggeration. I really recommend. It’s so good, you won’t be needing concealer. Using my index finger, I dot the cream on my under eyes and eyelids. The eyes are a delicate area so I lightly pat the cream on my dark circles and eyelids. I prefer to use this cream at night so that I can see the results in the morning.

7. Nip + Fab Purify Teen Skin Fix Zero Shine Moisturiser | Available at Superdrug 
To finish, I apply this matte moisturiser onto my face, leaving out the under eye areas and eyelids where I applied the eye cream earlier. The addition of zinc prevents excess oil, which leaves a long-lasting matte finish on the skin. Two other main ingredients are wasabi extract to prevent bacteria and niacinamide to improve uneven skin tone.




Colour coordination at its finest 


MY NIGHTTIME SKINCARE ROUTINE WITH A FACE MASK



I’ve been using 5 different face masks during lockdown and I’ve outlined my skincare routine for each of them below. I try to use a face mask once a week.

1. Sugar & Spice Self-Heating Mask | Available at Superdrug 
This mask is made from sugar spice and all things nice. I wash my face in lukewarm water before applying, as directed. It’s a self-heating mask that smells good enough to eat or drink (but please don’t). It’s like smothering your face in Starbucks caramel latte and chai tea latte. I leave it on for 15 minutes, wash it off and then use the Nip + Fab teen zero shine cream I reviewed earlier. 

2. Nip + Fab Exfoliate Glycolic Fix Bubble Mask Extreme | Available at Superdrug 
This is possibly one of the best face masks I’ve ever used. It’s a bubble sheet mask which is directly applied without cleansing. I leave it on for 10 minutes before peeling off. During this time, the bubbles have rejuvenated the skin. 

3. Nip + Fab Extreme Glycolic Scrub Fix | Available at Superdrug 
This is a triple action facial polish, which aims to refine, brighten and renew the skin. Glycolic acid and salicylic acid work together to exfoliate and retexture the skin and cleanse the pores. This scrub should be applied on damp skin, so I use the cleansing pads first. I rinse off the scrub with lukewarm water as directed and finish by moisturising with Nip + Fab’s teen zero shine moisturiser.

4. L’Oréal Smooth Sugars Nourish Scrub | Available at Superdrug 
Like the Sugar & Spice Self-Heating mask, this also smells good enough to eat (again, please don’t). This mask contains three main ingredients; coffee grains, sweet almond oil and coconut oil. The coffee grains exfoliates, the sweet almond oil brightens and the coconut oil softens the skin. It can also be used on the lips. I leave it on for 10 minutes, wash off and finish by moisturising my face with the Nip + Fab SPF 30 cream.

5. Nivea Sleeping Melt-in Mask | Available at Superdrug 
 After cleansing, I massage this into my face, neck and shoulders. This is a different type of face mask as you don’t need to rinse it off. Leave it on overnight so it melts into the skin. In the morning, my skin appears brighter and feels smoother. 

So that’s my current skincare routine and I highly recommend these products.

Until next time,
C x

Add your comment

Subscribe to my Blog via Email

SHOP MY MAKEUP BAG

SHOP MY WARDROBE FAVOURITES

CURRENT WISHLIST