What are you looking for?
Monday 25 July 2016

Battle of the Primers: Laura Mercier vs NARS

After trying NYX's Shine Killer, I decided to opt for two high end primers by Laura Mercier and NARS. A primer is used as a base to set makeup. Laura Mercier offer seven types of primers; Blemishless, Protect Broad Spectrum SPF 30, Radiance Bronze, Radiance, Original, Oil-Free and Hydrating. NARS offer three types; Multi-Protect, Light Optimizing and Oil-Free Pore Refining.
As I have normal to oily skin, I chose the oil-free versions. This battle is between the Laura Mercier Foundation Primer- Oil-Free and the NARS Oil-Free Pro-Prime Pore Refining Primer.


Price
The Laura Mercier Foundation Primer Oil-Free retails at £29.00 for a 50ml tube. Its counterpart, NARS Oil-Free Pro-Prime Pore Refining Primer, retails at £26.00 for a 30ml tube. I find the Laura Mercier primer to be more economically viable. Whilst it may seem expensive, it's better in the long run because it will last longer- I bought it in February and it finished a few days ago. 

Winner: Laura Mercier 

Packaging 
Laura Mercier scores brownie points for the dark beige tube. Personally, it's a welcome change from the monochrome colour scheme used by many makeup brands- NARS included. Laura Mercier screams a brand that is independent and doesn't follow the crowd. 
NARS have gone for a monochrome themed packaging, which doesn't give me anything to shout about. I find the Laura Mercier primer to be more makeup bag friendly because it is streamlined and can therefore go in a small cosmetics bag. The NARS tube is small but bulky. 


Winner: Laura Mercier 


Marketing 
The Laura Mercier primer is marketed as; 'a lightweight water based gel that creates the perfect canvas for makeup application. Formulated for sensitive, oily and acne prone skin.' However, there are flaws in the marketing of this product- the primer should be used before 'Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser, Foundation or Concealer.' This marketing technique screams; we know you're spending a lot of money but we want you to spend more. £29.00 for a primer is expensive. To be told that it has to be used with other Laura Mercier products is a no no. If you use Laura Mercier products, that's fine. But what if you've popped into Selfridges with the intention of spending £29.00 and end up spending more because you've had to buy a tinted moisturiser, foundation or concealer? What if you have a holy grail foundation, tinted moisturiser or concealer by a different brand and want to buy a Laura Mercier primer because they are being raved about by beauty vloggers on YouTube? This marketing technique, will put them off buying the product because it gives the impression that it can't be used with other makeup brands.
NARS adopt a relaxed approach in the marketing of their primer. They leave you to use a foundation, tinted moisturiser or concealer of your choice. They simply state that it should be used 'prior to makeup application.' It can also be 'worn alone to create a smooth complexion.' 

Above: an information booklet which accompanies the primer.

Winner: NARS 


The Product 
Although Laura Mercier's primer is described as a gel, its consistency resembles that of a hand cream. It also has a light perfume scent. Fragranced skincare products and makeup can cause irritation, so this might be a problem for women with really sensitive skin. 
I tried this primer with The Body Shop's All-in-One Face Base powder foundation and I was thoroughly disappointed. I had to touch up my makeup because my T zone was oily. If you use powder foundation, this primer won't work for you. I also decided to test the theory that the primer would only work with Laura Mercier products. After 'gently massaging' the primer into my face, I applied NYX tinted moisturiser and NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, before setting with The Body Shop All-in-One Face Base powder foundation. My makeup lasted all day; proving that the primer can be used with different makeup brands, not just Laura Mercier products. 
I had high hopes for the NARS primer. My holy grail concealer is by NARS, so I was expecting something spectacular. It's runnier in consistency and has a lavender scent. I tried this primer with powder foundation and my face stayed matte all day. However, when I used it with tinted moisturiser, concealer and powder, my face was still matte at the end of the day, but it wasn't as matte as when I had used the Laura Mercier primer. I didn't try the primer without makeup because I use primer to complement my makeup routine. 
So which primer is better? Laura Mercier gets a point for mattifying my face. It falls short of clinching victory in this category, because it doesn't work well with powder foundation. NARS also gets a point because it's good for powder foundation. However, if you prefer to use tinted moisturiser or liquid foundation, you should go for the Laura Mercier primer. 

Winner: Laura Mercier and NARS 


Conclusion 
If this battle was based on the product alone, it would have been a draw. However, there are other factors to consider; such as the price, packaging and marketing. Laura Mercier wins the battle of the primers with 3 out of 4 points.

Visit www.lauramercier.com and www.narscosmetics.co.uk for more information. 

Images taken on my iPhone.

Add your comment

Subscribe to my Blog via Email

SHOP MY MAKEUP BAG

SHOP MY WARDROBE FAVOURITES

CURRENT WISHLIST