What are you looking for?
Friday 31 January 2020

I ONLY ATE WAITROSE VEGAN FOOD FOR 24 HOURS | FIRST IMPRESSIONS & REVIEW


Left to Right: Essential Waitrose Fruit and Nut Muesli, Waitrose & Partners Vegan Pesto Pasta & Tenderstem Broccoli and Waitrose & Partners Vegan Mushroom Carbonara


If you’re confused by the title and wondering what’s vegan food got to do with fashion and beauty? I’ve decided to include lifestyle posts on here. New year, new blog and all that. This will now be a fashion and beauty with a sprinkle of lifestyle blog. Expect to see cake baking, biscuit making, food reviews and more. I thought I’d start the year by jumping on the veganuary bandwagon and challenge myself to eat Vegan food for 24 hours. I eat vegan food from time to time, so why not do it for a whole day? I’ll be doing a mini review of each item as a non vegan eating vegan food. Before I get started, here’s a lil’ definition - a vegan is an individual who chooses to follow a plant-based diet. This involves avoiding foods which are derived from animals. They also avoid products tested on animals, materials made from animals and places that use animals as a means of entertainment. 


10am, Tuesday 28 January 2020
Breakfast – Essential Waitrose Fruit & Nut Muesli | £1.39
It’s been a while since I had muesli for breakfast so deciding what to buy wasn’t difficult. However, I’m quite fussy when it comes to cereals. Muesli? Goes without saying. It’s got to be Alpen. So, the big question was would Waitrose’s own brand muesli taste like Alpen? Grab a hot or cold beverage, it’s time to spill some tea. Yes, it was a bit like Alpen except it also had whole hazelnuts, toasted coconut and apricots. I didn’t think I’d like apricots in muesli but I was pleasantly surprised. The ratio of oats to fruits to nuts was evenly balanced. They weren’t stingy with the ingredients and with each mouthful you got a bit of everything. One meal down, three to go!
Would I buy again? Yes. Alpen lovers will love this.
Rating: 4/5


This photo was taken after a few mouthfuls, oops.

3.12pm, Tuesday 28 January 2020
Lunch – Waitrose & Partners Vegan Pesto Pasta & Tenderstem Broccoli | £3.30
I found this in the food to go section by the entrance. Going by the packaging, it’s perfect to eat during your lunch break at work – you don’t need to put it on a plate. Grab a wooden fork (which Waitrose conveniently placed below the sandwiches) and a drink and you’re good to go. And the price is great too. Don’t be fooled by the small packaging. I didn’t think it would be filling but the portion size was just right. Funnily enough, I couldn’t finish it and ended up saving the rest for later. Again, there wasn’t any scrimping. I got a nice mix of pasta, peas, pesto, broccoli, pine nuts and vegan prosciutto. However, I felt something was missing. They could’ve added smoked tofu or included optional salad dressing to liven it up. 
Would I buy again? Maybe but I would add something else like smoked tofu.
Rating: 2.5/5 but if eaten alongside other dishes could be 3-4/5


8:40pm, Tuesday 28 January 2020
Dinner – Waitrose & Partners Vegan Mushroom Carbonara | £3.75 
They had so many vegan ready meals but I grabbed this one. This is a microwaved able ready meal but you can put it on the hob and bring it to the boil on a low to medium heat for 8 – 15 minutes (which is what I did). Mushrooms have been used as a substitute for pancetta. This wasn’t a problem for me as I like mushrooms but if you’re vegan or you just want to try it out if curiosity and you don’t like mushrooms then… *insert shrugging shoulders emoji* As I brought the carbonara to the boil, the smell of the creamy sauce wafted around the kitchen, which made me more excited to eat it. Again I can’t fault Waitrose on the ratios. They got the ratio of mushroom to pasta to white sauce just right. I also liked the addition of parsley as a garnish. It was a filling meal.
Would I buy again? Yes. 
Rating: 4.5/5 – could’ve had other cooking instructions


10am, Wednesday 29 January 2020
Breakfast – Essential Waitrose Fruit and Nut Muesli
I had muesli with soya milk for breakfast again. I think should’ve bought two cereals for this challenge, to prevent repetition; fruit and nut muesli and wholegrain blueberry wheats

I enjoyed doing this challenge and next time I’ll try a vegan dessert.

Happy Veganuary,
C x




Add your comment

Subscribe to my Blog via Email

SHOP MY MAKEUP BAG

SHOP MY WARDROBE FAVOURITES

CURRENT WISHLIST