What are you looking for?
Thursday 4 February 2016

NYX Cosmetics Shine Killer: The Review

NYX Shine Killer is a foundation primer for women with normal to oily skin. It is marketed as a; 'Professional potion to eliminate the look of oil and shine so face stays matte and fresh all day long. Use as a base, wear it alone, or over makeup.'
I decided to try it because I was looking for something to minimise shine, complement my foundation and NYX Cosmetics is currently being raved about by beauty vloggers on YouTube. I was going to buy the Laura Mercier Oil Free Foundation Primer, which retails at £29.00. However, I was drawn to the NYX version, which is £18.00 cheaper. I wanted to see how a cheaper alternative would fair, before opting for a more expensive product. 
The black and white theme makes the packaging similar to MAC Cosmetics' Prep + Prime Skin Refined Zone Primer; giving the impression that both brands are copying each other. 


Above; NYX Shine Killer and below; MAC Prep + Prime- same colour scheme and similar appearance.

Its size makes the primer suitable for the smallest of makeup bags; meaning it can be used on the go. 
However, the idea that this primer is a 'Shine Killer' is rather dramatic. Although I found that it did remove shine, women with very oily skin may disagree. Shine Reducer is perhaps a more appropriate name. If you choose to 'wear it alone' as suggested, you will need to reapply it at some point during the day, which defeats the objective that the 'face stays matte and fresh all day long.
Another disadvantage, is that the primer takes a while to dry. At times, I had to reapply my makeup as the primer hadn't set. This can slow down your makeup routine.
I did not try the primer 'over makeup' as suggested, as I prefer to apply it before foundation and therefore I cannot comment on this aspect. 
For £11.00, the price is an advantage of this product as many primers retail over £15.00. On the other hand, it could be argued that it should be no more than £10.00. 

I rate this primer 3/5. 


This primer is available at Boots, feel unique.com, Selfridges and very.co.uk. 
Visit www.nyxcosmetics.co.uk for more information.
MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Skin Refined Zone Primer image sourced from: 
http://www.johnlewis.com/mac-prep-prime-skin-refiner/p601171?sku=232312526&kpid=232312526&s_kenid=50dd23eb-4d40-466d-85bf-4eb3d89a1284&s_kwcid=403x702569&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

Other images taken on my iPhone. 


Add your comment

Subscribe to my Blog via Email

SHOP MY MAKEUP BAG

SHOP MY WARDROBE FAVOURITES

CURRENT WISHLIST